Longlist for Best Autobiography/Biography British Sports Book Award Announced!
March 5, 2014
Sir Alex Ferguson’s record breaking autobiography features in the long list for the 12th Annual British Sports Book Awards Best Autobiography/Biography Award.
Ferguson’s best selling My Autobiography will compete against a ‘who’s who’ from sport at the British Sports Book Awards, which are a celebration of the very best in sports writing and a key event in the sports publishing calendar. Commenting on his inclusion on the long list Sir Alex Ferguson said: “I am delighted to be nominated for this year’s British Sports Book Awards and to also be in the company of so many sporting greats.”
Ferguson will be looking to see if he can add another award to his trophy cabinet but is up against fellow manager Harry Redknapp and other books from the world of football and sports as diverse as triathlon, rowing, snooker, tennis, horseracing and boxing for the coveted award this year.
The long list is made up of the following 12 outstanding sports autobiographies/biographies published in 2013:
- It’s All About The Bike: My Autobiography, by Sean Yates – Bantam Press
- The Outsider: My Autobiography, by Jimmy Connors – Bantam Press
- Henry Cecil: Trainer of Genius, by Brough Scott – Racing Post Books
- Driving Ambition: My Autobiography, by Andrew Strauss – Hodder & Stoughton
- My Autobiography, by Alex Ferguson – Hodder & Stoughton
- War and Peace: My Story, by Ricky Hatton – Macmillan
- Running: The Autobiography, by Ronnie O’Sullivan, – Orion
- Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story, by Alistair & Jonathan Brownlee – Viking
- Stillness and Speed: My Story, by Dennis Bergkamp with David Winner – Simon & Schuster
- Always Managing: My Autobiography, by Harry Redknapp – Ebury Press
- Katherine Grainger: Dreams Do Come True, by Katherine Grainger – Andre Deutsch
- Added Time: Surviving Cancer, Death Threats and the Premier League, by Mark Halsey with Ian Ridley – Floodlit Dreams
The shortlist for this award and the other eight categories: Best New Writer, Outstanding Sports Writing Award, Best Illustrated Book, Best Football Book, Best Cricket Book, Best Rugby Book, Best Horseracing Book and Best Publicity Campaign for a Sports Book will be announced on 28th April 2014.
The 12th annual British Sports Book Awards will return to Lord’s Cricket Ground this year and the winners will be announced at a star studded award ceremony dinner on 21st May 2014.
The British Sports Book Awards sponsors and partners this year include BT Sport, The Times, Getty Images, Arbuthnot Latham, Orion Books, Littlehampton Book Services and Robert Walters.